Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dear body, I'm listening...


This is a hard one for me, but I stayed home from work, yoga, working out, coffee... everything... today. I am listening to my body, as I have been trying to and wrote about in a previous post: What is my body telling me. It's harder than it would seem.

I spent the day napping, reading on my computer, and filling and refilling my glass water bottle with boiling water from my kettle. Keeping it close to me kept me nice and warm when I was in the shivering stages of my fever. There was one thing that was occurring uncontrollably a couple of the times while I was trying to go to sleep for a nap. I was crying. I wasn't actively crying, per se, but tears were streaming from my eyes. Even from a scientific standpoint, I couldn't figure it out. I imagine my body just in this release mode, but I'm still a bit bewildered. I'm going to think on that a bit more.

Everything else was right on par. I still had my appetite, which never seems to go away! I wish it would sometimes, though. So, I had my usual organic yogurt and oats for breakky, a piece of gluten-free toast with organic butter, and later in the day a black bean and salsa omelette with blue corn tortilla chips. There was a snack of carrot sticks and 1TBS of peanut butter (finished the jar!) thrown in there at some point too.

At midnight, I did step out for about 10 minutes to raid the corner store that's half-block from my house. I needed a bottle of water and ended up picking up some raw (unpasteurized) orange juice and grapefruit juice, and... yes... a small container of Belgian chocolate ice cream. It felt so amazing on my throat.

Despite not being able to exercise or go to work, I still felt pretty good about my day. That is definitely one thing on my mind when I stay home, especially because I don't lose my appetite... getting my exercise in. There is a blog and Twitter feed that I follow. This guy is currently doing a 60x360x2011 Challenge for the New Year and his 40th year alive, which involves doing some sort of exercise for 60 minutes every day for the entire year and blogging at least once per month about it. Sound familiar? Anyway, his Twitter posts are great, and I've been following him for a year. So, today, I posted this comment:

"This is great, and I am enjoying following you on Twitter and here on your blog. I have been doing the same, daily exercise, but for the first time in 5 years, I have a cold. I stayed home from the gym and yoga one day this week and today stayed home from everything. What can you recommend for times like these, and do you have a game plan for if and when you catch a cold? I usually can still exercise if I don’t have a fever and if my symptoms stay shoulders and above. However, this time I have a bit in my lungs and am feverish. I know my body will be fine, but still part of me feels as though I’m letting myself down. Would love to hear your thoughts!"

and his response was as follows:

"Hi Jodie, congrats on your pursuit of wellness. It’s worth the effort, wouldn’t you say? I’ve given some thought as to how I will handle sickness, etc. and admittedly don’t have a full-proof plan just yet. I’ve found that I can typically walk through most illnesses, however, a 60 minute walk with a bad stomach flu/virus could represent a real challenge. Since my goal is to live the 40th year of my life to its fullest and to show people the role of fitness as part of a weight management program, I may have to get a little creative if I find myself in this situation. Perhaps I will make an exception and do an hour of meditation – fitness for the mind. Thanks for your note. Keep me posted on your progress. Live Well!"

I think that I'm going to incorporate active meditation into my regime if something comes up like this again where I cannot do physical exercise. I felt like I was really good to myself today, and this little bit of extra validation really helped.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that wonderful glass water bottle!!! We should be LifeFactory spokeswomen. =)

    Good for you for eating so well. I struggle with that sometimes when I'm sick... and when I'm not... I actually had a chocolate cupcake (made by one of the women at my kitchen) for breakfast. Nice. Oh well, I'm all for the philosophy "everything in moderation!" I'm glad the ice cream helped - doesn't it always? ;)

    How did mediation go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jodie, love the post. Your attitude is inspiring and a very contagious. I just finished a 63 minute walk in the cold and dark and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you time in Hong Kong is productive. Be safe!

    Cheers,
    Paul (aka @TheWellnessdud/@60x365x2011)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all!

    Hethyr: Meditation is ok... there are so many voices in my head to acknowledge during the process and so I find it a bit tiring, but I'm getting better at it and am ok with the fact that I am not quite able to sit there and "clear my head" immediately. Who are those people anyway?

    Paul: Thanks for the note. You are an inspiration to me! I look forward to continuing to follow you and your goals for this year! You're incredible! Keep up the great spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exercise for the mind... that's a great one! :)
    Love you baby, so glad you're feeling better!
    xox

    ReplyDelete