Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Roaming throughout many places, living in tiny spaces

How much space do we actually need? What does "space" mean anyway? Google image "space" and the photos are gorgeous... outer space is the context in that case. My dictionary on my computer, however, gives me the following, some of which I've highlighted in orange out of interest:

space |spās|noun1 a continuous area or expanse that is free, available, or unoccupied : a table took up much of the space | we shall all be living together in a small space| he backed out of the parking space.an area of land that is not occupied by buildings : she had a love of open spaces.an empty area left between one-, two-, or three-dimensional points or objects : the space between a wall and a utility pipe.a blank between printed, typed, or written words, characters, numbers, etc.Music each of the four gaps between the five lines of a staff.an interval of time (often used to suggest that the time is short, considering what has happened or been achieved in it) : both their cars were stolen in the space of three days.pages in a newspaper, or time between television or radio programs, available for advertising.(also commercial space) an area rented or sold as business premises.the amount of paper used or needed to write about a subject : there is no space to give further details.the freedom and scope to live, think, and develop in a way that suits one : a teenager needing her own space.Telecommunications one of two possible states of a signal in certain systems. The opposite of mark 1 (sense 2).2 the dimensions of height, depth, and width within which all things exist and move : the work gives the sense of a journey in space and time.(also outer space) the physical universe beyond the earth's atmosphere.the near vacuum extending between the planets and stars, containing small amounts of gas and dust.Mathematics a mathematical concept generally regarded as a set of points having some specified structure.verb1 [ trans. ] (usu. be spaced) position (two or more items) at a distance from one another : the houses are spaced out.(in printing or writing) put blanks between (words, letters, or lines) :[as n. ] ( spacing) the default setting is single line spacing.2 (usu. be spaced out or space out) informal be or become distracted, euphoric, or disoriented, esp. from taking drugs; cease to be aware of one's surroundings : I was so tired that I began to feel totally spaced out | I kind of space out for a few minutes.PHRASESwatch this space informal further developments are expected and more information will be given later.DERIVATIVESspacer nounORIGIN Middle English : shortening of Old French espace, from Latinspatium. Current verb senses date from the late 17th cent.So, clearly there are several definitions and contextual usages for the word "space," but essentially I think that every definition can apply. The concept of space that I've been wondering about, struggling with, in awe about, mesmerized by, horrified by, and even comforted by over my life and very much during my recent journeys touches on a lot of these ideas. If I put these words and phrases together, haphazardly...continuous free empty the freedom and scope to live, think, and develop in a way that suits one within which all things exist and move specified structuredistance distractedeuphoricdisorientedThis is pretty much how I've been feeling over the past three weeks. It's really neat how this word "space" has been on my mind for three weeks... for so many overt reasons. I'm in Asia for one. Space is at a premium. Personal space in public places is nonexistent. The space I have created for myself to grow and learn and nurture myself and those around me, however is huge. It is really neat... I take this bit of time to explore it more deeply, and here is what I come up with. Looking at that definition, the words that popped off of the screen to me, I know meant/mean something.My journey is continuous, I know. There is no final destination, and I am ok with that. I feel free, free to explore myself, reinvent myself, starting from the person I had grown to be in my last home. I do have an empty feeling from time to time, no kindred connections yet, but also a strange desire to keep the only kindred connection here in HK with myself. Maybe that's the kindred connection that I need to nourish the most. In that case, the freedom and scope to live, think, and develop in a way that suits one is exactly the path that I've embarked on. Interestingly, that wasn't the first thought that came to mind in pondering the idea of "space." I was more concerned with a specified structure, and to quickly overcome this disoriented feeling that was overpowering me. I needed proximity, convenient distance(s) between my living space and my intellectual space, also neatly partitioned at the University (but also with minimal "space"). I was thinking of the lack of space when I couldn't find an apartment for my first 3 weeks here in HK. And, it wasn't because I was being picky either, which was a relief. Either I seriously lived in a toilet or I spent my entire salary every month on "space." There was no "middle space." So, I was entirely distracted thinking about the utter lack of and the cost of space... for me currently $150CAD per square foot... this was overwhelming my every thought, my every action, how I reacted to others around me... in my "space" that we commonly refer to as "personal space." But after pondering this for a bit, I don't even flinch at any of it anymore, rather pondering it is somewhat euphoric because of the tangential meanings. Space is important... not necessarily in the square-footage context, as I'm learning. The importance of space is within the context that it is within which all things exist and move. That's pretty profound.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post - you are an amazing writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profound indeed! I like that last definition - within which all things exist and move.
    Space and time... they go together. In a short time now, the space between us will be minimized!

    ReplyDelete