Sunday, November 21, 2010

My fitness...

In no particular order, I would like to post goals that I will strive for to the best of my abilities while I'm here representing HK resident #8,000,001.

Goal #1: I will try one new fitness or yoga class or teacher per week, while aiming to do either one yoga class or one fitness class/work-out of some sort per day.

My new gym and yoga studio both host a ridiculous number of classes each day, a few of which I've tried already. I've liked them all so far, but I've already found myself gravitating toward one or two teachers and away from a couple as well. Instead of sticking to my comfort zone, i.e.
doing classes I know I will like, or that I know I'll be relatively good at, teachers I already have had and like, for this goal, I'll branch out a bit, try one of those bizarre classes I've never heard of. For example:

"Jivamukti – Jiva – meaning individual soul and – Mukti meaning liberation – comes from the Sanskrit word Jivanmuktih – liberation while living. This yoga
method was founded by David Life and Sharon Gannon to aspire for greater peace, unity, environmental awareness and karma consciousness. Ahimsa, one of the five tenets of Jivamukti, is the core to the sacred belief in oneness of beings, urging the avoidance of harm and violence. A Jivamukti yoga class is a vigorous physical and intellectual stimulating practice that combines chanting, asanas, breathing exercises, music, meditation and practice of devotion through simple scriptural reading."

I'm not really into the chanting... not so much at all, actually... but why not? What would I have to lose? So, while reading through the class descriptions and realizing my "yeah right" response to this Jivamuktki, I thought I'd challenge myself a bit. We'll see what happens! You will definitely read about my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment