Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Maintaining

Ah, it's been a while since my last post, at least a week. One of my closest friends in the world is visiting me here in HK from Vancouver, and she's staying with me in my tiny flat. Actually, it's been going incredibly smoothly! I had no doubt we'd pick up where we left off, friendship-wise, but I was worried about the logistics.

1. My place is literally 100 sq. ft. and my bed is barely a double bed.
2. Hong Kong is a crazy place for a seasoned traveler, let alone to a traveler new to Asia.
3. My work is crazy right now, and so I'm needing to keep up a bit of a regular work schedule.
4. But I want to go out and enjoy HK with her, and we planned a trip to Kuala Lumpur too.
5. I knew we'd be eating out for meals quite often.
6. I also knew that I may not be able to stick to my exercise and yoga schedule as closely as I do normally.

But life can be hard under "steady-state conditions", if I can use that phrase. We know this and are constantly, through our own personal process of checks and balances, aiming to maintain some sort of equilibrium state in our physical bodies, our overall physical health, our mental health, our mental capacity, our relationships, etc. When our equilibrium states are interrupted through either good or bad happenings, we are truly tested in our ability to be resilient. Having a friend visit is a very good interruption, and I'm happy to say that I've been able to maintain a lot of my routine while still truly enjoying our time together and exploring Hong Kong and soon Kuala Lumpur together. Aside from the weekends, I've been doing yoga or fitness every day, and last weekend, we did a bit of light hiking/walking and some silly bicycling. I'm not drinking enough water, I know, but I'm working on it. I'm eating a lot more, but I'm not intentionally eating after 10pm. Although it has happened a few times, I'm ok with it. And, I'm still hammering through most of my responsibilities at work. I can't start any new experiments right now, and so I am just powering through some writing. Finally, Kelly is a very clean and organized person too, and so she's been really great about keeping my flat organized with both of us living there, almost on top of each other! All in all, it's not just about maintaining a schedule or routine but teaching your mind and body to be resilient, allowing other models or schedules to work from time to time. Finally, there has to be some acceptance... that's toughest for me...

Thoughts for the day:
How do you alter your routines under non-steady state conditions?
How do you bounce back or embrace resilience?
What is the difference between acceptance and excuses?

Keeping up...
13Feb11, 9am: Hot yoga with Keiki To
14Feb11, 7am: Hot yoga with Michael Lau
15Feb11, 7:15am: Bodypump with Luis
16Feb11, 7am: Hot yoga with Shirley Wong
17Feb11, 12:30pm: Bodycombat with Anna
18Feb11, 7am: Silent hot yoga with Martina Lee
19Feb11, 1pm: Bodycombat with Kelvin
20Feb11, 11:30am: Power yoga with Michael Lau
21Feb11, 7am: Hot yoga with Cinderella Yau
22Feb11, 7:15am: Bodycombat with Luis
23Feb11, 7am: Hot yoga with Ocean Liang
24Feb11, 7:15am: Bodycombat with Kelvin
25Feb11, 7am: Hot yoga with Michael Lau
26Feb11: walking up to temples and monasteries, bicycling Plover Cove
27Feb11: walking Lantau Island
28Feb11, 7am: Hot yoga with Michael Lau
1March11, 7:15am: Bodypump with Luis
2March11, 7am: Hot yoga with Shirley Wong

1 comment:

  1. How do you alter your routines under non-steady state conditions?

    That is a question I always struggle with especially since anytime I travel my swimming schedule goes to hell. Turns out to be hard to find pools open at the specific time you need when you travel. But I always assume that I will be getting in some other sort of exercise (hiking, walking around exploring a new city) when traveling or when people are visiting.

    How do you bounce back or embrace resilience?

    My mental health is so closely linked to my daily swims that is it easy to bounce back after a break. I am usually pretty twitchy and ready to hit the pool. So I make a point to get to the pool ASAP and get back to my schedule.

    What is the difference between acceptance and excuses?

    Excuses are when you have nothing else going on and you decide not to do something. For example, any normal day when I say... it is really cold outside... I don't want to walk to the pool. Acceptance is saying 'wow there is something really exceptional going on right now that I have to work into my schedule instead of working out'. It is exceptional and temporary so I am going to enjoy myself for the time being.

    And... generally it is good to mix things up every once in awhile and give yourself a rest. I usually find that I am more motivated and engergized then ever when I get back in the water.

    I hope you are enjoying your visit with your friend and are able to jump back into your routine after her trip. In the meantime there is nothing to do but have fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete