Sunday, January 30, 2011

Yoga and time makes me whine

28Jan11, 7am: Silent Hot Yoga with Martina Lee
29Jan11, 9am: Hot Yoga with Deva Biswas

I came out of this class thinking that it was a very easy class... hmmm....

30Jan11, 6pm: Hot Yoga with Anjan Kundu

This was pay-back from having an "easy" class on Saturday! If I ever thought any of the other yoga teachers of East Indian descent were tough, it's because I hadn't had an Anjan class yet. Anjan is Bengali... I'm not sure if there are different styles of yoga instruction based on which part of India you are from, but his style was crazy! It could also be because he's been practicing since he was 8 and competing for many years as well. I find the yoga teachers who compete or do talent-based yoga shows to be quite different anyway. He's tough, bossy, and has no concept of time (or enjoys making light of the passing time), which ends up making me VERY cognizant of time. I wanted it to END! Take note of this and laugh when you read my other post from today about figuring out your talents! I wrote it before this yoga class and will finish it in a bit. Anyway, it was almost ornery the way he would count down while we were holding a position... he'd pause at a number and ask us which number came next, e.g. he would say "three"... we would say "two" and then he'd say "NO!" and start counting UP again! WTF!!! (I can't believe I just wrote "WTF" on my blog, but it seems appropriate) Then sometimes he'd be counting down, "three, two" and then he'd just walk around and adjust people or maybe say something like "further" or "stretch harder." Meanwhile we're all wondering what happened to the "one" and about to curse him, at least I was. I think I even spoke out loud, "alright already" at one point. I did get into some postures I hadn't tried before and the class shook up my routine a bit. I even got all the way down into both sides of the splits with my arms straight up in the air and a slight back-bend. Yes, the yoga competitors always seem to work the splits into their classes... not the first time. Well, I promised to try a new class and/or teacher each week, and it had been getting more and more difficult to do that and stick to my usual schedule. So, I took this opportunity this weekend to do that, and I'm glad I did. I know that I'll chose Anjan for yoga class if I'm in that kind of mood. It was fine tonight, but I know that style won't always suit me. Good to know!


1 comment:

  1. I am glad you got a good butt kicking yoga in this morning. I agree that you would probably have to be in the 'mood' for that. I remember swim coaches adding 5 extra to a set, because they were not sure we were trying hard enough. That is what they said anyway. I always thought they were just being mean and abusing their authority! :)

    I hope you are having a great day. We should skype again soon! That was fun!

    ReplyDelete