Monday, December 27, 2010

Starting to send off 2010...

25Dec2010, 9:30am: Hot Yoga with Shirley Wong
26Dec2010, 11:30am: Power Yoga with Michael Lau

As I spend the next week reflecting on 2010, which I think has been the best year of my life, I would like to make a conscious effort to think about 2011 as well. I remember ringing in 2010 and saying to myself this is going to be the best year! I had so many plans for the year, so many exciting happenings, and I chartered my path from day one. I do plan to take this approach for 2011. This leads me to mention something that my yoga teacher said on Christmas day during hot yoga, which was for me a really special way to start my day. She said the following:

"Take a moment now and in life to think about what you want for the future before you make your next move."

This is clearly so appropriate for a yoga class. My
postures of the day were tree (vrikshaasana)
and dancer (natarajasana ) asanas. I thought about the acute meaning of this phrase when taking my tree posture (vrikshaasana) from having my hands in prayer (is it called namasté for prayer hands?) to another level. I extended my arms and hands upward, straightening them, reaching up into the air like branches growing out of a strong, rooted trunk, and looking up to the sky as if to grow, right there from feet, legs, torso rooted right into the yoga studio floor... reaching for the light. This is actually quite an easy posture for me, but I notice that if, during that transition with my hands and arms, I do not think about what I am doing and where my body is going, I lose balance. My strong, rooted tree wavers.

This seems like the perfect state of mind in which to address the second step of effective goal setting:

2. Balanced goals for a balanced life

Set goals in all areas of your life:

-- Career
-- Health
-- Personal

This touches on the idea of balance, which is extremely important to me and has directed some of the most important decisions in my life (as it should, I'm finally learning). This step of goal-setting also touches on an idea I'd like to explore more within myself in the new year of 2011. That is the idea of living congruently. If someone is not living congruently, there is a disconnect between these three (or more) major areas of your life (career, health, and personal). For example, what happens when you are brilliant and achieve so much in one aspect of your life (e.g. career) but struggle with another (e.g. health and fitness)? I see that rampantly within the higher levels of academia and I've never been able to understand it. I thought that in order to be extremely successful in one branch, you had to forsake others. Furthermore, it is not just about being successful, per se, and goal-oriented in these three branches of your existence, but also adhering to your core values in all aspects of your life. I think that is what I'd most like to explore, keeping consistency in my values across career, health, and personal avenues of my life. Sometimes when goal setting, it's also important to re-visit your values and make adjustments as needed. I also think it's important to have goals in all divisions. I will be doing just that this week as we start to finish this chapter of life called 2010 and begin a new, exciting decade!

I look forward to continuing to share my goals and progress and hope you will continue to join me as well!

3 comments:

  1. I have been thinking a lot lately about how successful you've been because of your goal setting and how I would like to think about setting some goals myself. Although I consider myself somewhat successful, I really haven't set many goals and figured out how to achieve them. It's all kind of been "go with the flow." I think I've stressed myself out enough with this approach and I think setting some goals might just help to reduce my stress level. Thanks for the inspiration, as always. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true that figuring out what you want, bringing it from your subconscious to your immediate consciousness.... and even articulating it to others... is the hardest part. I think that is where a lot of us get stuck... sure we have places we'd like to go in the short-term and long-term... it's all in the back of our head, but it's when we bring those ideas to the forefront is when they start becoming realities. So, maybe it's not that we're all not setting goals, but maybe we're not adopting a strategy to achieve them as successfully as possible... hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's very true! Thanks for the perspective shift! =)

    ReplyDelete